This plugin is a WordPress core feature-plugin that adds cropping to background images for parity with header images. For this particular feature the implementation is quite simple, but it’s starting out as a plugin to gauge user interest in this feature and whether the feature improves the user experience of background images.
This plugin requires WordPress 4.3 Beta 3 or later.
If you’re interested in contributing to this project, ping @celloexpressions on WordPress core Slack. Please comment on the trac ticket with ideas and feedback: https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/32403.
- Take the easy route and install through the WordPress plugin installer OR
- Download the .zip file and upload the unzipped folder to the
- Activate the plugin through the ‘Plugins’ menu in WordPress
- Visit the Customizer (Appearance -> Customize) to change your background image and be able to crop it after selecting it.
Wachangiaji & Wasanidi
“Background Image Cropper” is open source software. The following people have contributed to this plugin.Contributors
Interested in development?
- Add plugin textdomain for translations.
- Clarify image context handling.
- Fix initial display in WordPress 4.6 and later.
- Fix in-control preview of selected image in WordPress 4.6 and later.
- Ensure that the background-image context is set for selected images, so that they’re marked as background images in the media library.
- Refine handling in conjunction with the improved background image properties UI in WordPress 4.7.
- Fix setting handling.
- Initial commit.
- Full functionality pending the completion of https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/29211